Eating healthy shouldn’t be complicated. To make it simple and adopt healthy eating strategies, start by incorporating these healthiest foods into your diet. Here is the list of ten healthiest foods you should be eating now.
- Just one lemon as the healthiest foods has more than 100 percent of your daily intake of vitamin C, which may help increase “good” HDL cholesterol levels and strengthen bones.
- Flavonoids found in lemons may help inhibit the growth of cancer cells and act as an anti-inflammatory.
Tip: Add a slice of lemon to your green tea. One study found that citrus increases your body’s ability to absorb the antioxidants in the tea by about 80 percent.
- A great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which have been linked to a reduced risk of depression, heart disease, and cancer.
- A 3-ounce serving contains almost 50 percent of your daily dose of niacin, which may protect against Alzheimer’s disease and memory loss.
Tip: Opt for wild over farm-raised, which contains 16 times as much toxic polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) as wild salmon.
- Just one-fourth of an ounce daily can reduce blood pressure in otherwise healthy individuals.
- Cocoa powder is rich in flavonoids, antioxidants shown to reduce “bad” LDL cholesterol and increase “good” HDL levels.
Tip: A dark chocolate bar contains about 53.5 milligrams of flavonoids; a milk chocolate bar has fewer than 14.
- One red potato contains 66 micrograms of cell-building folate — about the same amount found in one cup of spinach or broccoli.
- One sweet potato has almost eight times the amount of cancer-fighting and immune-boosting vitamin A you need daily.
Tip: Let your potato cool before eating. Research shows that doing so can help you burn close to 25 percent more fat after a meal, thanks to a fat-resistant starch.
- One medium stalk of broccoli as the healthiest foods contains more than 100 percent of your daily vitamin K requirement and almost 200 percent of your recommended daily dose of vitamin C — two essential bone-building nutrients.
- The same serving also helps stave off numerous cancers.
Tip: Preserve up to 90 percent of broccoli’s vitamin C by microwaving.
- Rich in healthy, satisfying fats proven in one study to lower cholesterol by about 22 percent.
- One has more than half the fiber and 40 percent of the folate you need daily, which may reduce your risk of heart disease.
Tip: Adding it to your salad can increase the absorption of key nutrients like beta-carotene by three to five times compared with salads without this superfood.
- Contain the most omega-3 fatty acids, which may help reduce cholesterol, of all nuts.
- Omega-3s have been shown to improve mood and fight cancer; they may protect against sun damage, too (but don’t skip the SPF!).
Tip: Eat a few for dessert: The antioxidant melatonin, found in walnuts, helps to regulate sleep.
- Garlic is a powerful disease fighter that can inhibit the growth of bacteria, including E. coli.
- Allicin, a compound found in garlic, works as a potent anti-inflammatory and has been shown to help lower cholesterol and blood-pressure levels.
Tip: Crushed fresh garlic releases the most allicin. Just don’t overcook; garlic exposed to high heat for more than 10 minutes loses important nutrients.
- Eating a serving of legumes (beans, peas, and lentils) four times a week can lower your risk of heart disease by 22 percent.
- That same habit may also reduce your risk of breast cancer.
Tip: The darker the bean, the more antioxidants it contains. One study found that black bean hulls contain 40 times the amount of antioxidants found in white bean hulls.
- Spinach contains lutein and zeaxanthin, two immune-boosting antioxidants important for eye health.
- Recent research found that among cancer-fighting fruits and veggies, spinach is one of the most effective.
Tip: Spinach is a healthy and flavorless addition to any smoothie. Try blending 1 cup spinach, 1 cup grated carrots, 1 banana, 1 cup apple juice, and ice.
- Get Rid of Belly Fat With This 10 Foods
- 4 Types Of Food To Keep You Cool In The Hot Summer Days
- 7 Fat Burning Foods for Rapid Weight Loss