Chia Fresca is a delicious, easy-to-make and extremely hydrating drink. There are plenty of fun variations on chia water such as making flavored chia water or coconut chia water.
Chia Fresca is a healthy beverage which has been a popular drink in Mexico and Central America for many years. It’s made up of water, chia seeds, lemon or lime juice, and sweetener.
When chia seeds are soaked in water a gelatinous coating forms around the seed very similar to a tomato seed. This makes it very easy to swallow so the seeds don’t get stuck in your throat. It’s so much more fun than drinking plain water! You should put your chia seeds in the water a day ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge overnight for best results.
Some facts about chia seeds
- Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, even more so than flax seed
- Do not need to be ground to be absorbed by the body and they can be stored for long periods of time without going rancid
- They help with hydration due to their ability to absorb up to 9-10 times their weight in water
- Also contain fiber, protein, calcium, magnesium, copper, iron, and zinc among many other nutrients
- Chia seeds like to get stuck in your teeth. You were warned.
Chia Fresca Ingredients:
- 2 cups water or coconut water
- 1.5 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice, or to taste
- Sweetener, to taste (I like 1/2 tbsp maple syrup)
Add chia and water into a jar or beverage shaker and stir very well to combine. Let sit for 10 minutes to allow the chia seeds to swell up. Shake until the water begins to thicken (It usually takes about 15 to 20 minutes.) Shake it up really well to break up the clumps of chia.
Add lime or lemon juice and sweetener to taste. Stir or shake well to combine and put the jar of chia seed water in the fridge and let it sit for several hours or, better yet, overnight. By letting the water sit for a while, you give the chia seeds a chance to soak up the water and expand as much as they’re going to. Chia seeds are hydrophilic, meaning they’re like tiny sponges. They absorb 10 times their weight in water, and then they become gelatinous.
Note: Chia seeds will sink and collect at the bottom of the glass quickly. Give it a good stir as needed.
- Natural Remedy For Headache: Salted Lemonade
- Kiwi shake for energy raise
- Detox Drink: Smoothie with Raspberries and Lemon