This healthy old Nettle dish is one of the biggest sources for health, but is already forgotten by most of the population.
Nettle is known as a medicinal herb that helps in many diseases, mostly used as a remedy for anemia and kidney disease.
Nowadays it is rarely used as food, but there are many healthy recipes with nettle as main ingredient. In general it is used fresh, but here is one recipe to use dry nettle.
This is traditional recipe and it does not require accurate measures.
- Put two handful dried nettle leaves in pot with hot water.
- Stir well and drain the water.
- Add oil in the nettle and begin to fry it.
- Add one clove of chopped leek into the nettles.
- Add some sliced tomatoes and green peppers.
- Fry until softened.
- Add some red pepper as spice to refine the taste.
- Pour some water to cover all this and leave it on low heat to boil.
- When water evaporates, mix 1 tablespoon of flour in a little water and add to the pot with nettles and add some feta cheese.
- You can add some yogurt or sour cream on top.
- The dish is ready.
This is an old traditional Macedonian nettle dish, simple and healthy.
Note: The procedure for preparing this nettle dish with fresh nettle is the same; only just chop the fresh nettle leaves directly in the pot.